8.15.2007

it's a hot one.

Yesterday we hit a record of 102, today supposed to do the same with heat index up to 108. I went outside just to check my mail, and came back in totally sweaty. This is the kind of weather that makes you want to shave your head! I cannot understand why or how people still wear pants in this heat… even jeans! With this crazy record breaking heat, I saw on the news that it can get up to 130 degrees in your car?! So I did an experiment of my own, and even with a “magic shade” blocking my front window, it got up to 126.5 degrees in my car. I’d like to try baking something. What will cook at 130 degrees?

I wonder what the Amish do during all this heat – no A/C. man. Guess I’m glad I’m not Amish today.

And speaking of… I enjoy catching Chip Ingram’s radio broadcast on my way home from church. This past Sunday it was about eliminating stress in your life and how hearing non-uplifting news can bring down your overall outlook on the world. (when is news ever uplifting?) He challenged the listeners to do a 2 day media fast. No TV, no radio. So I did. And ya know, it’s been nice. Quiet, peaceful. I’m finding I feel purposeful—if I lay down on the couch it’s not “well I’ll just sit here & see what’s on.” No, I lay down and say “I think I’m going to sleep for a bit.” I found that I got a lot done around the house, opposed to thinking of all I should’ve done or still needed to get to while trying to fall asleep and trying to think of acronyms to remember it in the a.m. so I don’t have to move to get a pen and paper. I also found that I didn’t get annoyed and irritated by all the dumb commercials and frustration on not being able to find anything on to watch. I went outside and lollygagged. Basically, point is: there are a lot of better things that can be done than watching TV. You’re bombarded with images you probably wouldn’t chose to look at in the first place, but do just because it’s on and we’ve become a lazy TV watching nation. Chip Ingram said a child’s creativity is formed before the age of 6. and studies have been done that watching TV can stunt your creativity. Even Spielberg wouldn’t allow his kids to watch TV til they turned 6, understanding the creativity factor. And I did feel more creative! One evening I just lied on the couch, starred at the ceiling finding shapes in the grooves…butterflies, a kiss mark, a bird, and just listened to the hum of my refrigerator.

It can be a little tough, because it’s a habit to watch while I eat dinner or if I can’t think of what else to do at the moment. I found that turning on the TV is a lazy cop-out. If there’s nothing you’re turning it on specifically for, you’re kinda choosing that way to waste your time. So get out and do something!

No comments: