6.13.2008

EURO 2008 uefa

This is my second football (soccer) post. I just have to say I love to watch it. I think it's the only sport that when I come across it on espn, I stop, sit and watch the whole game.
I love watching it. Right now I'm watching Italy vs. Romania Live! I feel so connected to the world, i love it.

What I like about soccer (football) is the clock only stops for halftime. it doesn't stop after someone has made a goal, or when the ball goes out of bounds or when someone is down. I like how there are no commercials. Both teams walk out at the same time at the beginning of the game. The energy of the game. I love how each player walks out holding a little kids' hand. (i'm writing this with my eyes on the tv. Romania's goalie is really good, but so is Italy's, Buffon.) I love how cultural it is. I guess I just need to save up some/ enough money to move overseas and live over there. The score is 1-1. Mutu (Romania) was upset he missed his penalty shot.
the game is just awesome b/c it's constantly going. if you take your eyes off it one second, you'll miss something. The game is appx 90 mins, unlike a football game in usa or basketball where a game can last up to 3+ hours.
When I went to England in '95 There was a huge football event going on, and one sunday everyone piled into a small living room to watch it, and it was such a big deal there. i didn't really get it, but i guess i do now.
I love how (most) all the guys are good sports. I know it's a culture thing, but it's how they hug or kiss their teammates on the cheek. the passion these guys have for the game is easy to see.

I think what all these games (on espn from 10am - 3pm about) are a battle for the world cup. I remember watching the 2006 world cup. I was routing for Italy and they won. I blogged about it on my yahoo blog.
ok, game's over I can concentrate on what I'm writing now. I also enjoy Andy Gray's commentary.
I once worked with a Brit who always had a game streaming in on his computer. Each time I'd go in the copy room to make a copy I'd ask what the score was. It's such a European thing.
I would also love to start/ learn to play soccer myself b/c i think i've got the power in my legs for it.

The games I've caught are: Romania vs. Italy 1-1 (6.13.08) Croatia vs. Germany 2-1. (6.12.08)
Netherlands vs. Italy 2-0 (6.9.08) France vs. Romania 0-0 (6.9.08)
and now France vs. Netherlands is just beginning!
Did you know the Netherlands have the oldest national anthem?update: 10 mins into the game and Netherlands have scored. why are their jerseys so tight?

photos are from http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/

No comments: